Photobucket

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Just like family

I love the people in our Bible study! I am not sure what I would do without these people. I am so thankful that God created us to be in a community with one another. Last night we talked about the story of David and Jonathan. If you haven't read this story it is in 1 Samuel 18. 

"When David had finished speaking with Saul, Jonathan committed himself to David, and loved him as much as he loved himself. "

In some translations it says "loved him as much as his own soul." Can you imagine loving a friend in that way? When we first read this we were talking about how we would consider that a "homosexual" love but the more we read the more we realized that this kind of a bond between men is discouraged in our culture. Men are taught from a young age that being a man means that you don't need anyone. To be transparent with someone is to show weakness. God did not make us to live like this. 

Last night I tried to imagine what it would be like to be completely transparent with my close friends. At first I became frightened that they might not like me anymore. I was afraid that they may not like the person that I really am. Then I became excited at the bond that I would be able to have with them. What a wonderful example of Christs love. 





No comments:

Post a Comment