Photobucket

Monday, March 22, 2010

Home is where the heart is.

What happens next
I got my eyes wide
It's not over yet
We are miracles
And we're not alone

And now after all
My searching
After all my questions
I'm gonna call it home
I got a brand new mindset
I can finally see
The sunset
I'm gonna call it home

-Switchfoot



Photobucket


Catalina was beyond amazing. Everyone and everything around me was so inspiring. It was wonderful to watch people in their walks and watching them see God. It was nice watching me see God. I am incredibly thankful.

Here is a poem by our Mark 1 group leader. It describes it perfectly.



Desperate Beauty

When I fail I know you will succeed.
I dwell where dusty bones fill empty pews and love grows infirm and frail.
But your light: substantial, real, costly,
Breaks the heavy crust and weary doubt of hardened hearts.

Where I cannot win you cannot be stopped,
Because your ashes can no longer be burned
Nor your fire quenched. You are the street-level.
You are the army of the ever-living.

I know this because Satan has hated you,
But his burning intent and impotent brunt
Is brought up short, and has only seared you
With the determination, to stand.

I know even in poverty you are rich and where my life lacks yours will be filled.
Through Satan's warmed-over shit God has purified silver.
And while Pharisees and scribes beat their chest
Jesus is about fishermen, tax-collectors and sinners.

I know this church is tattooed and shabby.
It swaggers a bit, flies the bird too much
spits out profanity like watermelon seeds on a summer day
And pisses on church tradition.

But love leaves dusty pews behind in order to live in you,
In softened hearts beating in new skins:
Unafraid, unflinching, desperately beautiful.
Thus I know, even when I lose, in you God wins.

David Mark Brown
March 21st, 2010
The first day of spring on earth
New life sprouts eternal in the Kingdom




Thanks Dave for being more than our leader. Thank you for loving us.

2 comments:

  1. I love this! What a great poem! I'm so glad you and I experienced the magic of the island together! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am too Sarah. Thanks for being my friend :)

    ReplyDelete